From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] swapping processor problem
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:28:25
1 On 11/16/2011 08:11 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > Play with your BIOS settings. Look for things like legacy USB support.
3 > Also, double-check that all the relevant USB drivers (UHCI, EHCI,
4 > XHCI, HID, etc) are either built-into the kernel, or are loaded as
5 > modules. Consider rebuilding your kernel.
6 >
7 > Just because one processor has a superset of the instructions of the
8 > other doesn't mean there may not be other compatibilities. Some time
9 > back, a thread on here discussed how to find out what -march=native
10 > becomes, in terms of -march and a bunch of other parameters. I've
11 > noticed parameters like cache line sizes and cache sizes, among a
12 > couple others. I imagine a bungling of, e.g., cache line sizes could
13 > break code that has heavy dependency on data locality and/or memory
14 > models; it might have broken your USB drivers, for example.
15 >
16 > But, really, I think BIOS settings and driver presence are the more
17 > likely culprit.
20 I don't think it was a software issue because the same lock happened
21 also booting from a live-CD. I ended up swapping the motherboards, now
22 live-CD boots fine but I need a new kernel.
23
24 The march=native thread looks interesting, do you remember the subject
25 line so I can search it in the archives?