From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 19:47:41
1 >>>> Can you rely on Xorg devs to ensure that they are not going to break your
2 >>>> multiseat system in the future?
3 >>>
4 >>> Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know why there would be (much) more
5 >>> likelihood of regression with Xorg multiseat than with anything else,
6 >>> including LTSP and all of its dependencies.
7 >>
8 >> Because fewer people are testing it.
9 >
10 > That's fair but Gentoo makes it easy to roll back if necessary.
11 >
12 >> You can get low-powered Linux systems for $100 or $150 - either a little MIPs ShivaPlug or (I guess) a secondhand atom nettop (Acer Revo).
13 >>
14 >> If you save 2 hours per machine by using a standard and common thinclient configuration, then the hardware has paid for itself.
15 >
16 > You're saying use built-in thin-client firmware (on the SheevaPlug for
17 > example) along with something like VNC or NX on the server to save
18 > time over an LTSP setup?  That would mean giving up some software
19 > control.  Assuming multiseat works, is there an advantage to this over
20 > multiseat?
21 >
22 >> If you have to employ a Linux sys admin to help you fix a complicated problem with Xorg multiseat, then it will run you at least $100 or $150 for those 2 hours. That's how you should be valuing your own time, too.
23 >
24 > LTSP and its host of dependencies seem much more complicated to me
25 > than multiseat.
26 >
27 > - Grant
28