From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] automated code validation
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 21:41:06
1 On 12/04/2014 04:08 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Alec Ten Harmsel
3 > <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> It'd be cool if Gentoo had some sort of automated workflow (with
5 >> Jenkins, buildbot, whatever) like this:
6 >>
7 >> 1. Receive pull request
8 >> 2. Detect changed ebuild
9 >> 3. test ebuild with etest
10 >>
11 >> This will take a lot of work to set up, and depending on how my workload
12 >> is next semester, I would love to help out as much as possible.
13 >>
14 > I've wondered the same thing, and maybe after sufficient bikeshedding
15 > something like this would be a good GSoC project as well. Running
16 > repoman is another possibility.
17
18 Assuming I have time next semester, I'll look into it (and if I haven't
19 mentioned anything by mid January, someone should bug me). I have
20 limited hardware - a single 6-core/32GB box to do testing - but I should
21 be able to do a lot of testing on small packages.
22
23 > One trick is that a pull request could impact multiple packages
24 > (eclass changes, dependency updates, etc).
25
26 This would not be terribly difficult to detect, but insanely expensive
27 resource-wise. The only thing that comes to mind immediately is ensuring
28 that the software that detects changes associates a set of packages with
29 an eclass in some config file, and triggers rebuilds for those packages.
30
31 > In these cases running
32 > repoman probably adds more value than full tests. Either way there
33 > will potentially be a high cost to do the testing, which could create
34 > a backlog if we queue things up (not queuing things creates other
35 > problems).
36
37 I sync weekly, and yeah, there'll need to be some reasonably serious
38 hardware to do this. Jenkins looks like it supports adding workers that
39 are firewalled by having the workers initiate connections; if this is
40 the case (or if whatever we end up supports this), I'll gladly offer up
41 my workstation to do this.
42
43 > Repoman false-alarms is another potential issue with this.
44
45 Repoman can be improved ;) Repoman is already run nightly, I just don't
46 think Gentoo has the manpower to deal with that stuff.
47
48 Alec