From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs and sparse VM image files
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:01:57
1 On Mon, 19 May 2014 12:07:32 +0200, Marc Stürmer wrote:
2
3 > Just take a look at the official Gotchas Page of BTRFS, which can be
4 > found here:
5 >
6 > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Gotchas
7 >
8 > Putting virtual image files on Btrfs is something that the developers
9 > still do not recommend at all, and that's with reason!
10
11 The page you linked to does not actually state that. There are plenty of
12 hints and sideways references but little concrete information about what
13 is safe with the current release - hence my question.
14
15 > If you really do want to put them up a COW filesystem, you should try
16 > ZFS on Linux instead, otherwise go with XFS or ext4 - in that kind of
17 > order.
18
19 They are already on ZFS but I am investigating btrfs as an alternative to
20 ZFS. ZFS and ext4 would mean losing the volume management that ZFS and
21 btrfs offer, not to mention forcing a repartition.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Do you steal taglines too?