From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] binary package installation problem
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 15:13:05
1 On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:27:40 +0000, askar k wrote:
2
3 > When I do #emerge --usepkg <packagename> - sometimes it works, but
4 > sometimes it doesn't work and bedins compiling.
5 > For example, I wanted to install kde from package CD but it goes to
6 > compiling, though I see a lot of tbz files for kde.
7 > Can anybody tell what do I do wrong?
8
9 Because you have emerge sync'd since the packages CD was built, your
10 portage tree contains newer versions of many of the packages, so emerge
11 tries to install those. As there is no package available for the newer
12 versions, it tries to download the source and compile.
13
14 You need to use --usepkgonly (-K), --usepkg (-k) means "use a package if
15 one is available, otherwise build from source. If that doesn't work, use
16 specific version numbers to ensure the version on the CD is installed
17
18 emerge -Kav =cate-gory/package-x.y.z-rN
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 I am neither for nor against apathy.