From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 16:27:41
1 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 23:47:35 -0600 Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Some may recall me mentioning using LastPass to manage my passwords.
6 >> Obviously, it can generate very strong passwords that are different for
7 >> each site.  It can also remember them as well which makes things more
8 >> secure than using just a few passwords for all sites.  One for things
9 >> like financial sites, maybe a less secure one for some site you still
10 >> want reasonably secure and a even weaker one for sites you don't care
11 >> about hacking, and hackers likely won't either.  I know some people who
12 >> do this even today.  Heck, ages ago, I was one of them.  Things change
13 >> tho.  Some passwords can be hacked in seconds by a desktop computer,
14 >> including my own if I had the software and knowledge to do it.
15 >>
16 >> The one thing about most all password managers, they have a master
17 >> password.  That one password unlocks the rest.  Trick is, having that
18 >> one be a good one that is easy to remember, type on a keyboard and be
19 >> secure, virtually unhackable but also unforgettable.  I've had what used
20 >> to be a strong password for a while.  Thing is, with today's computing
21 >> power, it really isn't anymore.  While no one could just guess it, it
22 >> could be cracked/hacked I'm sure.  I need to come up with a new one that
23 >> meets the requirements I just mentioned.  Strong, easy to remember, easy
24 >> to type but won't forget.  I've read that using maiden names, years of
25 >> birth or whole dates of birth, actual names, pet's name, words in a
26 >> dictionary and a whole list of other things makes it easier, especially
27 >> if you post a lot on social media, for hackers to use against you.  I'm
28 >> trying to avoid that sort of thing obviously and have a couple ideas but
29 >> am curious as to what method others use, without exposing to much detail
30 >> since this is public.
31 >>
32 >> How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
33 >> hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above?  I've googled
34 >> and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many others
35 >> are using that same method, if you know what I mean.  ;-)  Just looking
36 >> for ideas.
37 > 1) Install app-admin/apg.
38 > 2) apg -a1 -m40
39 >
40 > Best regards,
41 > Andrew Savchenko
44 My password manager does that already.  The password I was trying to
45 come up with was the master password which I must easily remember, be
46 secure and be easy to type.  The other passwords I let the password
47 manager generate and remember as well.  I don't type those so they can
48 be anything.
49
50 Goes to show tho, there is yet another tool to come up with passwords.
51 lol
52
53 Dale
54