From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 01:54:31
1 Sebastiaan L. Zoutendijk wrote:
2 > Dear Dale,
3 >
4 > On Friday 5 June 2020, 11.37pm -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >
6 >> Is this a secure method or is there a more secure way? Is there any
7 >> known issues with using this? Anyone here use this method? Keep in
8 >> mind, LVM. BTFRS, SP?, may come later.
9 > Another thing to keep in mind: if you only encrypt your /home, it is
10 > possible that some data leak out of the encrypted volume. For example,
11 > if you use swap, then the decrypted contents of /home residing in RAM
12 > can be swapped out. If you want to protect yourself against that, you
13 > will need to encrypt the swap volume as well. The same could happen with
14 > temporary files, so /tmp and /var/tmp might also need special treatment.
15 > Aside from encrypting, tmpfs is another possibility here.
16 > This problem is similar, but slightly different, to that described
17 > by J. Roeleveld. Here I am talking about the contents of your files
18 > leaking, instead of the LUKS keys.
19 > If you are going to encrypt multiple filesystems, you can either
20 > make separate LUKS volumes for each of them (each LUKS volume being
21 > inside a partition or LVM volume, for example), or you can create one
22 > LUKS volume with several LVM volumes inside.
23 >
24 > Sincerely,
25 >
26 > Bas
29 > --
30 > Sebastiaan L. Zoutendijk | slzoutendijk@×××××.com
35 That's something to think on.  Right now, I'm going sorta simple and
36 data that if I forget the password, I still got copies of.  No big
37 loss.  Later on tho, that info could come in handy.  I know a guy that
38 has his locked down tight.  I suspect everything is password protected.
39 He was in China for a bit and it was sort of a requirement.
40
41 Off to youtube.
42
43 Dale