From: Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <dystopianray@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Mouse configuration instructions for xorg?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 03:06:02
1 On Friday, 5 January 2007 13:15, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > My son bought a fancy mouse for playing games in windows. It works
4 > in Windows but so far not in Linux.
5 >
6 > It is visible to the system in usbview:
9 > Razer Copperhead Laser Mouse
10 > Manufacturer: Razer
11 > Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
12 > USB Version: 2.00
13 > Device Class: 00(>ifc )
14 > Device Subclass: 00
15 > Device Protocol: 00
16 > Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
17 > Number of Configurations: 1
18 > Vendor Id: 1532
19 > Product Id: 0101
20 > Revision Number: 21.00
21 > <SNIP addition stuff>
22 >
23 > Unfortunately X isn't seeing it so far. Also the red optical
24 > generator on the bottom is not turned on so I'm not sure it will
25 > actually work yet anyway.
26 >
27 > Is there possibly a protocol change in xorg.conf for USB mice? I'm
28 > looking around but somehow not seeing it. The Gentoo Xorg config guide
29 > just sets it up for a PS/2 mouse I think.
30
31 X.org shouldn't care what sort of mouse it is, it'll just receive mouse events
32 from a /dev/input/* device, usually /dev/input/mice and only the kernel needs
33 to know whether it's ps/2 or usb.
36 > Any other ideas warmly welcomed.
37
38 Do any additional /dev/input/* devices appear when plugging in the mouse? If
39 so try to 'cat' them and move the mouse around and see if anything happens.
40 However you say the laser doesn't turn on, that might indicate a problem
41 elsewhere, probably in your kernel configuration. Do you have any other USB
42 mice that you can try?
45 > Thanks,
46 > Mark
49 Raymond Lewis Rebbeck