From: "Yrjö Hatakka" <yka@×××××.fi>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /usr/bin is such a mess
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 18:15:22
2 > > x-apps kde-apps console-apps all dumped to same directory
3 > >
4 > > This unix heritage or is it LSB stupidity never ceases to amaze me
5 >
6 > Perhaps something like gobolinux is for you?
9 So you are happy with the mess? Like why is metacity in /usr/bin
10 why should anyone have it in his path? It just pollutes directory
11
12 FHS says that /usr/bin is just "Most user commands" not all!
13 and while FHS is bad document that no one should take seriously,
14 Gentoo insists doing changes "to improve adherence to standards (FHS/LSB)",
15 yet breaks it anyway on many occasions.
16 Situation will worsen with QT4/KDE4
17
18 /usr/lib is another fine mess Gentoo has got me into ;)
19
20 And no, gobo is not an option, Gentoo's /usr/bin is a mess but Gentoo is the
21 best messy linux I have run since 1995-6 can't remember exactly ;) started
22 with Redhat 4.0 . I have used gentoo since 0.9x days, quite a while now.
25 ykä at home
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list