From: Mike Mazur <mmazur@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:15:04
1 Hi Ionut,
2
3 On Jan 28, 2008 5:04 PM, ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com> wrote:
4 [ -- SNIP -- ]
5 > Firstly this is an overkill. secondly it has again nothing to do with
6 > the choppy mplayer issue. Think about it: an vo=gl2 means mplayer will
7 > not use the CPU for video rendering but the GPU hence the Cpu
8 > optimisations are withou purpose on this driver. Furthermore even is
9 > you use something like xv there are archs on wich mplayer runs(arm, or
10 > 686 or k7) where such optimisations are out of the question but mplayer
11 > runs well. Also most linux distros don't have these cflags enabled and
12 > yet mplayer works fine.
13 >
14 > Mike does glxinfo|grep render gives an yes? do glxgears work properly ?
15 > Will and opengl game work?(tuxrace)
16
17 $ glxinfo | grep render
18 direct rendering: Yes
19 OpenGL renderer string: GeForce Go 7700/PCI/SSE2
20 GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_SGIS_generate_mip map, GL_SGIS_texture_lod,
21
22 Yep, glxinfo says I can render. glxgears seems to run fine. Although I
23 haven't looked into it much, it seems my framerates are low when I
24 compare with some random person who posts theirs on IRC or this
25 mailing list.
26
27 When I watch glxgears while not doing anything else on the computer,
28 it will get around 6200 FPS. If I switch to another workspace, that
29 will (naturally :) jump to around 10500 FPS. But if glxgears is
30 running on my current workspace and I'm doing other things, like
31 moving other windows around or switching tabs in Firefox, the
32 framerate can drop to below 5000 FPS.
33
34 I haven't really tried any games, not tuxrace, but I have launched
35 Frets on Fire [1] once and fount it sluggish. Haven't had time to play
36 that since.
37
38 Mike
39