From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Be cautious about virtualbox-4.2.8 and Win7 guests
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 13:26:03
1 On 03/02/2013 10:55 AM, walt wrote:
2 > On 03/01/2013 10:34 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> After updating vbox today I got crashes on login with two different
5 >>> Win7 guests (gentoo ~amd64 host).
6 >>>
7 >>> Luckily, only the most recent snapshot crashed and I was able to
8 >>> boot normally with the second most recent snapshot (both guests).
9 >>>
10 >>> I didn't lose anything important because the only thing I use
11 >>> Windows for is to run Windows Update :) (know thine enemy, etc)
12 >>>
13 >>> Maybe if you have important stuff on a Win7 guest you should make
14 >>> an extra snapshot just before you update to vbox-4.2.8 in case you
15 >>> need to delete the last one.
16 >>>
17 >>> BTW, I had no problems with linux guests so far.
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> What did the crashes say?
22 >
23 > The usual :) "Windows has encountered a problem and must close..."
24 >
25 > Just now I updated a second gentoo machine that (I thought) is the
26 > same as this one, but I didn't the crashes on that machine, so I don't
27 > know what to think now. I hope nobody else has the same problem.
28
29 Crap, I just noticed that virtualbox-modules-4.2.8 won't compile against
30 the latest 3.8.x kernels :( That means I've been using the 4.2.6 kernel
31 odules while running vbox-4.2.8. That might explain the crashes but I
32 can't say for certain. At least it's an excuse :)