From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading without breaking LVM
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:32:43
1 On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:41:12 +0100
2 Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > Hi all,
6 >
7 > Some of you may remember my problems with lvm after an update in
8 > http://www.archivum.info/gentoo-user@l.g.o/2008-04/msg00899.html
9 >
10 > I'm now headed back towards the same situation. I have a load of
11 > updates to do according to emerge -DNavu world but I've had to mask
12 > all upgraded versions of udev, mdadm and lvm as every time I upgrade
13 > them, it breaks my disk access.
14 >
15 > Whenever I upgrade these packages (I'm not which one of those 3 is
16 > actually to blame, and I don't want to chance it) I can no longer
17 > access the lvm volumes on my disks. I have no idea what is causing it.
18 >
19 > This means I cannot do a world update as those manually masked
20 > packages are blocking a lot of other packages.
21 >
22 > A few months on, is anyone able to shed light on why updating any of
23 > those 3 packages causes my system to be unbootable and my data to be
24 > inaccessible?
25 >
26 > I would really like to keep my system up to date, but as you can
27 > understand, I'm loathe to make changes that will give me a borked
28 > system yet again.
29 >
30 > Grateful for advice anyone can give as my system is now getting quite
31 > out of date.
32 >
33 > Thanks
34 >
35 > Matt Harrison
38 Please, make it clear: which versions of all relevant packages are you
39 using?
40
41 emerge --info | grep ACC
42 emerge --info | grep baselayout
43 emerge -pv lvm2 udev baselayout mdadm
44 emerge -DuNpv world
48 Best regards,
49 Daniel
50 --