From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting rid of all kde components
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:07:56
1 On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've decided to stop using KDE after yrs of use... given that gentoo
3 > compiles everything from scratch, its just getting to much time lost
4 > jacking around with kde during upgrades.
5 >
6 > But also I'd forgotten what the oldtime linux desktops were like.
7 > fvwm was the main one in use when I started circa 1997.
8 >
9 > I see blackbox is even a bit more stark... but since I am mainly
10 > command line oriented it doesn't present a problem.
11 >
12 > ...
15 I don't know if you have all the KDE stuff installed, because that
16 does take ages, and pulls in the whole KDE kitchen sync. When I
17 install kde I emerge kdesktop (or startkde, cant remember now) and let
18 it pull all its dependencies. This normally results in a very cut down
19 kde - no sound mixer, games, kmail, moonphase applets, etc. (a lot
20 less time spent updating)
21
22 Or try WindowMaker, I used to use it and I'm still very fond of it.
23
24 Regards
25 Dirk