From: peter@××××××××××××.uk
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVMe drive and grub
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 07:05:26
1 Peter@××××××××××××.uk wrote :
2
3 > Neil Bothwick neil@××××××××××.uk>
4 > wrote :
5 >
6 > > On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 13:26:31 -0400, Poison BL. wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > --> /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
9 > > > This one is what your UEFI's loading at boot. The lack of any other
10 > > > files in /boot/efi/boot/ makes me suspect Grub's not actually
11 > > > installed in quite the right spot for the UEFI layer to load it. If
12 > > > you pointed grub2-install at the right place (the second command line
13 > > > at [1]), I believe you should have grubx64.efi there as well.
14 > >
15 > > Did you build GRUB with GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64"?
16 >
17 > Yes, as instructed in the wiki.
18 >
19 > > As you're using EFI, you may find life easier if you dispense with GRUB
20 > > and use Gummiboot. I find it (or the systemd version) far more friendly.
21 >
22 > Maybe I should give it a go - thanks for the idea. I did consider it but then I
23 > was deterred by its description as "minimalistic".
24
25 I did try it, and it worked like a charm! After five days of fruitless attempts to get grub to work, five minutes with gummiboot was all I needed.
26
27 Thank you Neil.
28
29 I'll write a Solved reply when I have my system built and can access the whole thread.