From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eez a byootiful dai todai
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:49:11
1 On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 13:27 -0500, Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > Tempers flare over ... preinstalled linux distros?
3 >
4 > The fact is, Linux needs some evangelists right now. I for one would
5 > love to see microsoft's market saturation drop some, and I don't think
6 > I have to explain how much that would help the open source commutity,
7 > the internet, and the whole IT industry worldwide. At the risk of
8 > being melodramatic, I insist that the stranglehold over PCs that
9 > windows holds must end.
10
11 Microsoft themselves have done a lot to aid in the cause to end
12 Microsoft's rule. Windows Vista is a flop. I've heard that MS Office
13 '07 is too. People are looking for an alternate solution. Mac has
14 begun advertising again. Word of mouth is our best marketing tool now.
15 Sure there are tons of Linux websites out there, but Microsoft's primary
16 advantage is that people think they're the only OS out there. If you
17 tell people about Linux, at least a few of them will research it and
18 might make the switch...
19 >
20 > If only people would continue to build momentum for linux as a viable
21 > commodity OS, then we could move to a point where people would be
22 > comfortable with it in their offices too, and only then will the
23 > hardware industry really have to respond in kind.
24 >
25 > The neat computers in the world today deserver Linux, and let's face
26 > it, we all deserve to be gurus on 90% of computers and not 5%.
27 >
28 > Sure, I don't want to by a ubuntu install either, but still, I argue
29 > that it's a big step in a good direction. I hope y'all agree with
30 > that.
31 >
32 > Death to Tyrants! Long live open source! Long live Linux!
33 >
34 > Sincerely, Dan Farrell.
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list