From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] RAID help
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:27:19
1 Hi All,
2
3 I haven't had to set up a software RAID for years and now. I want to set up
4 two RAID 1 arrays on a new file server to serve SBM to MSWindows clients. The
5 first RAID1 having two disks, where a multipartition OS installation will take
6 place. The second RAID1 having two disks for a single data partition.
7
8 From what I recall I used mdadm with --auto=mdp, to create a RAID1 from 2
9 disks, before I used fdisk to partition the new /dev/md0 as necessary. All
10 this is lost in the fog of time. Now I read that these days udev names the
11 devices/partitions, so I am not sure what the implication of this is and how
12 to proceed.
13
14 What is current practice? Create multiple /dev/mdXs for the OS partitions I
15 would want and then stick a fs on each one, or create one /dev/md0 which
16 thereafter is formatted with multiple partitions? Grateful for any pointers
17 to resolve my confusion.
18 --
19 Regards,
20 Mick