From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo router for multiple ISPs?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:11:54
1 Hi all,
2 I need to get a second ISP line into the house. I currently have a
3 cable modem but it goes down once in a while and my work requires
4 higher reliability so I was thinking of getting a DSL line to
5 supplement it. I'd like to investigate creating some sort of
6 firewall/router that could do the following:
7
8 1) Load balance between the two lines during the day. I get download
9 speeds of about 6Mb/S from my current Cable Modem and supposedly about
10 3Mb/S from the DSL. I'd like to get something like 8-9Mb/S aggregate
11 from the two together if possible.
12
13 2) I need rules that keep certain machines off of the cable modem
14 during specific hours.
15
16 3) I MUST have some sort of AUTOMATIC switch over such that if one
17 line goes down the second line takes over and runs everything while at
18 the same time informing me that a line is down. This machine must be
19 able to test, once a minute or faster, that both lines are up and take
20 action immediately if something is wrong. It must then correct if the
21 down line comes back up.
22
23 4) I can either use this same machine as a firewall or I can simply
24 hook it to my existing LinkSys since I'll still need wireless to get
25 around the house. I figure I'll run the LinkSys inside this Gentoo
26 machine anyway. I figure I'll want a firewall on this machine since it
27 will be directly on the net anyway.
28
29 Are features like this available in some sort of package from portage?
30
31 Note that I'd be perfectly happy buying some box for less than
32 $100-$200 that could do all of this automatically but I haven't found
33 one yet.
34
35 Thanks,
36 Mark