From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 21:42:17
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 15:18 on Tuesday 04 January 2011, Stroller did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 4/1/2011, at 9:42am, Jörg Schaible wrote:
5 > >> ...
6 > >> Does
7 > >>
8 > >> boot=LABEL=<boot_device_label>
9 > >>
10 > >> in grub config work for you?
11 > >
12 > > I hoped so, but actually no. Grub complains at boot time not finding the
13 > > root device. Is this available in the grub-0.97 series at all?
14 >
15 > I found numerous references to this syntax going back to 2005 or
16 > so, and some major distros seem to use it as the default way of
17 > describing "root=" to the kernel.
18 >
19 > http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/23010-root-label-
20 > grub-conf.html
21 > http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/RedHat/2005-01/0026.html
22 >
23 > However:
24 > http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Using--%22root%3DLABEL%3Dxxxx%22-in-grub.conf-p
25 > 21909347.html http://tinyurl.com/2u4srg4
26 >
27 > Stroller.
30 All the major distros I've seen it on also use initrds though (rare in gentoo-
31 land). I have no idea how it all works, I just know how to type it on a RHEL
32 box.
33
34 Elsewhere in the thread someone mentioned that this syntax relies on an
35 initrd, and I suspect he may be correct.
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com