From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-meta 4.2 upgrade
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:20:30
1 On Wednesday 11 February 2009 20:25:13 James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > OK, I have read back into January the suggestions on this
5 > list about going to Kde-meta 4.2. I have dozens of workstations
6 > running gentoo, so now I'm going to upgrade one (test) laptop
7 > to get a feel for kde-4.2 and hopefully flesh out an
8 > upgrade strategy for all of these laptops and workstations
9 > running kde. I'm not so concerned with being slick,
10 > as I am discovering the verbose, *sure_footed steps* to make
11 > the migration, mechanical, because these will be done, one
12 > at a time, in the background while I do other work related
13 > tasks. The systems vary wildly (cpu, video etc) but
14 > they all have kde-meta 3.6.9 installed, currently.
17 > So here are my (gleaned) steps:
18 >
19 > 1. emerge --unmerge kde-meta
20 >
21 > 2. emerge --pretend --depclean kde-meta
22 > <check over manually>
23 >
24 > 3. emerge --depclean kde-meta
25 >
26 > 4. autounmask kde-base/kde-4.2.0
27 >
28 > 5. echo "kde-base/kde-meta ~amd64" >>/etc/portage/package.keywords
29 >
30 > 6. emerge -DNv kde-meta
31
32 Looks about right. If it were me, I would not unmerge kde-3.5.* just yet. I
33 find that there are things still not present in 4.2 and I fall back to 3.5 to
34 get them. Stuff like kmail which I have not migrated all my mail, contacts,
35 feeds etc over to yet. Amarok, which although not part of 4.2, just plain
36 sucks (no flame fest please, I like where it might go; it just has not quite
37 gotten out of the starting blocks, never mind actually there yet) and you may
38 run into trouble building system-settings (I didn't but others have).
39
40 Also, 4.2 really really does not like it if you mix and match old and new
41 overlays with the portage tree. You are not in that position, so it's not a
42 problem for you.
43
44 Finally, try to use sets if possible. The split -meta ebuilds were an ugly
45 hack until sets made it into portage. They were orders of magnitude better
46 than monolithic, but sets are just so much cleaner than -meta. Plus you get
47 to easily define what's in a set if the standard ones don't suit your needs.
48
49 I'm finding issues with exiv2, libkeviv2 and stuff that uses it. Like
50 gwenview, okular and krita. But that's the kind of thing that happens
51 occasionally in ~arch
55 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com