From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Six non-Gentoo installs
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:14:52
1 On 15/10/14 04:14, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Grant Edwards
3 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2014-10-15, Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> The main problem (imnho) is that you think CentOS cares about
7 >>> configurability/multiple ways of doing things.
8 >> Oh, I don't think that -- it's pretty obvious that in the RedHat
9 >> world, choice is not an option. It's one prix fixe menu, and you can
10 >> either eat what's set in front of you or go hungry.
11 >>
12 > I can see the potential benefits of that. It sounds a bit like the
13 > whole convention over configuration approach. As long as the
14 > convention works, it does greatly simplify things.
15 >
16 > One thing I do like is the trend towards putting default configs in
17 > /usr and using /etc more for overrides.
18
19 you should have a look at unionfs or aufs -- what you can do is have an
20 initram that mounts /etc from lvm-stock-etc and then unionfs with
21 lvm-custom-etc
22 this allows you to have a standard lvm layout everywhere and then only
23 need to rsync the lvm-custom partitions
24 if you are feeling really fruity could use network locations for the
25 stock locations and an sd card or small storage for the custom partition
26
27 > If everything went that way
28 > (and we stuck stuff like /var/lib/portage/world in /etc) then you
29 > could have an /etc with 20 short files in it that reflected all the
30 > tweaking you did to a system from a generic install. Sure, I love
31 > config protection and etc-keeper and the like, but I'd like it still
32 > better if etc wasn't such a mix.
33 >
34 > I'd really love it if I could dump 20 files in /etc and run emerge
35 > -uDNv world and end up with a system identical to the one those 20
36 > files were copied from.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Rich