From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo equivalent to "yum provides"
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:19:35
1 Rennie deGraaf schreef:
2 > What command does one use to find what package(s) provide a particular
3 > file, given that that particular file is not present on my system? For
4 > example, I need a program called "foobar", but don't know what package
5 > provides it. Under Fedora, I'd use "yum provides foobar"; what command
6 > should I use under Gentoo?
7 >
8 > Something like "esearch foobar" searches package titles, not contents.
9 > So, if I was searching for "vi", I'd get all sorts of stuff that has
10 > nothing to do with the editor "vi", but happens to have the substring
11 > "vi" in its name. And if I was searching for "libfoobar.so", then I
12 > might not find any matches, since that file might be in a package called
13 > "foobar". In other words, "esearch foobar" doesn't do what I want.
14 >
15 > Thanks,
16 >
17 > Rennie
20 equery belongs equery
21 [ Searching for file(s) equery in *... ]
22 app-portage/gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre5 (/usr/bin/equery)
23 app-portage/gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre5
24 (/usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre5/equery)
25
26 :-)
27
28 HTH,