From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OCR for music (OMR)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:53:07
1 Thanks Daniel,
2
3 On Monday, 21 October 2019 15:27:18 BST daniel@×××××.nl wrote:
4 > I vaguely remember using some windows based program when archiving old
5 > music. The community in question had maps full of paper scores and making
6 > them digital would have made it much more compact and versatile. However
7 > even back then I remember manually writing lilypond files. I did use Linux
8 > at that time but wasn't aware of any OMR tools.
9 >
10 > Eventually I stopped visiting and the project fell out of favor due to the
11 > immense manual labour. Literally hundreds of sheet music ranging from single
12 > page meant for the artists up to the combined score for the conductor.
13
14 There have been a relatively large number of OMR projects falling in and out
15 of obscurity, forked, taken over, mixed with closed source and then die.
16
17 I was looking for an OMR package in portage to scan PDF sheets of music and
18 then split different voice parts out into separate midi files - but if a
19 single application will do the full workflow then I would be more than happy.
22 > A quick search led me to audiveris. I have no experience but it might do
23 > what you want. It has the option to export to MusicXML. I tried to use
24 > Rosegarden to read a MusicXML which "worked". It did get the notes right,
25 > but alternated with trebble and bass lines, being a somewhat monophonic end
26 > result.
27 >
28 > Hope this helps
29 >
30 > Daniel
31
32 I understand there are a few apps by/for Apple, who seem to be the favourite
33 OS for arty users, but I no longer have OSX running here or any applications
34 for it. There are also a number of other applications some of them for Linux
35 - but I haven't found one yet in portage (TBH I wouldn't know its name off-
36 hand).
37
38 From what I read here Rosegarden will not perform OMR itself, but will import
39 various file formats:
40
41 https://www.rosegardenmusic.com/doc/en/file-other.html
44 Regards,