From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eudev
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 10:16:47
1 James wrote:
2 > Hello
5 > So, I've been wanting to test eudev for a while now. I found these
6 > instructions in many places, so I have it a whirl:
7 >
8 > # emerge -Ca udev
9 > # emerge -1a eudev
10 > # etc-update
11 > # emerge @preserved-rebuild
12 >
13 > Problem is I had the 'udev' flag set in the make.conf, so it just
14 > reinstalled udev (216). so I figured I'd better ask about the
15 > convsion of udev-216 to eudev-1.10-r2 (stable) or if I should
16 > run eudev-2.1.1 ?
17 >
18 > Beside also removing the 'udev' flag, do I have any other issues
19 > or caveats? I'd like to also go with manually naming the ethernet
20 > interfaces under eudev; I have not found any specific docs on that
21 > either.
22 >
23 > Discussion and Suggestions are most welcome.
26 > James
31 I switched a good while back so this may be a bit fuzzy. I'm running
32 eudev-2.1.1 here with no issues. I don't have anything in my USE flag
33 about udev and everything I plug in is managed just fine. I'm pretty
34 sure your commands above is all I used as well. I don't recall running
35 anything outside the norm.
36
37 Basically, after you switch, the OS doesn't see anything different. On
38 mine here, even the init scripts have the same name. I was sort of
39 expecting them to change from udev to eudev but it didn't.
40
41 If something is pulling udev back in, may want to add the -t option to
42 emerge and see what is pulling it in.
43
44 Hope that helps.
45
46 Dale