From: Daniel Lynch <more.on@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simple command line stuff
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:29:38
1 On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 19:06 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I don't have a single book on Linux. (Amazing...) Can someone
4 > recommend a simple book on command line stuff, or better yet a good
5 > web site on this topic?
6 >
7 > For instance, I wanted to run a specific command on every file in a
8 > directory which will create a new file, so I need to do
9 >
10 > command file1.wav file1-convert.wav
11 >
12 > I need to take each name, create a new name to build the actual
13 > command that gets run and then do that for every file in the
14 > directory, or even in a hierarchy of directories.
15 >
16 > Thanks,
17 > Mark
20 If you want THE book on command line stuff, I would highly recommend the
21 book "UNIX Power Tools" published by O'Reilly. It basically goes over
22 every common UNIX command line tool and covers the common/useful tasks
23 you might want to do with it. It's a very thick book, but don't be
24 intimidated by its size,you can read just the sections you need. It's
25 basically a recipe book. As far as a website, a decent tutorial for
26 shell scripting is available at: http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list