From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommendation on how to format my new drive
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 00:38:54
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:40:38 +0300, Cooper Bug wrote:
5 >> Please share your instights how many partinions do I have to
6 >> do, what sizes. I would value all the input. Thanks a lot.
9 > 1) Only you can know what you will use the machine for and what you will
10 > need.
11 >
12 > 2) Your needs will change so even you will get this wrong.
13 >
14 > The best option (IMO) is small root and boot partitions and the rest on
15 > LVM. You can put / on LVM too if you want to fiddle with initrds.
20 I have to agree with this one a lot. I have redone my setup many
21 times. I to am testing the waters with EVMS. It seems that unless you
22 have a 300GB drive with huge partitions, there is never enough room. I
23 have considered just having a separate /boot and that is it. May lead
24 to a lot of fragmenting over time but I wouldn't have to keep moving
25 things around either.
26
27 5 to 6GBs for portage or distfiles has always been large enough for me
28 though. Just run eclean-pkg and eclean-dist every once in a while to
29 clean out the old stuff.
30
31 Hope that helps a little.
32