From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Full disk encryption
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 01:57:16
1 On Dec 1, 2011 3:32 AM, "David W Noon" <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 ----- >8 snip
7 > I have a working initramfs layout, but currently it is too large
8 > (>32MiB) for my /boot partition. The problem package is e2fsprogs, as
9 > it requires dynamic linkage and, consequently, a full-sized glibc.
10 > This sucks, so I need to patch the Makefile(s) to build a more sensible
11 > set of executables for an initramfs.
12 >
13 > All of the code I have written myself compiles and links statically,
14 > typically using klibc, so my finished code is tiny.
15 >
16 > I haven't been working on this for a couple of months now, because the
17 > need for it is not really pressing. The assertion that udev would
18 > require /usr and /var (plus the kitchen sink) really soon is unfounded,
19 > at least for those of us who run more elderly hardware.
20 >
21 > Anyhow, when I'm finished there will be a zsh script that will build an
22 > initramfs image, and even install it to /boot, with a single command.
23
24 You know, Debian has an e2fsck-static package. Why don't Gentoo, I
25 wonder...
26
27 That said, you *can* have an "almost-static" e2fsck if you compile it
28 yourself.
29
30 Rgds,