From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 08:26:24
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Monday 04 May 2015 08:46:26 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 04 May 2015 02:39:10 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >
5 >>> I really do need to set up RAID at least for some stuff that I may not
6 >>> be able to get back. Some videos I have are no longer available.
7 >>
8 >> RAID is not a backup solution.
9 >
10 > Not only RAID 1 isn't a back up solution, because it offers temporary
11 > redundancy rather than diverse protection, but under certain scenarios
12 you
13 > have a much higher chance of losing your data when the first drive
14 fails. If
15 > you bought two (or more) drives at the same time and built a RAID from
16 them,
17 > their failure performance due to same construction and age could be quite
18 > similar. On many occasions your last healthy drive fails, just as you
19 try to
20 > rebuild the RAID.
24 I think this has happened to folks on this list. I've read about this
25 somewhere before. It makes sense too. I'd like to have two different
26 brands of drives if I could. That should spread things out, maybe.
27
28 Dale
29