From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] multilib vs. no-multilib in 64-bit environment
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:38:33
1 On Saturday 26 May 2007, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] multilib vs. no-multilib in 64-bit environment':
3 > I think I'll attempt to set up one of my EM64T boxes in 64-bit Gentoo
4 > environment, so I've been reading some docs about it.
5
6 *cough*AMD64*cough*
7
8 > I understand
9 > that the multilib profile allows for having 32-bit libraries and being
10 > able to run 32-bit binaries,
11
12 Being able to run 32-bit binaries requires two things. x86_32 support in
13 the kernel (which (no-)multilib doesn't affect) and all the libraries for
14 the binaries being available in a 32-bit version, particularly ld.so and
15 libc.so.6; multilib the multilib profile causes (not "allows" -- if you
16 use multilib profile it is not optional) the most fundamental 32-bit
17 libraries (like those required for *building* a 32-bit library) to be
18 installed.
19
20 > whereas no-multilib restricts you to a
21 > purely 64-bit environment with no 32-bit compatibility.
22
23 That's true as far as libraries go. (A fully statically linked 32-bit
24 executable could still run if the kernel has support for x86_32.)
25
26 > What would be some of the reasons for setting up a no-multilib
27 > profile?
28
29 Saves disk space and compilation time.
30
31 > Perhaps for a computational workstation that doesnt need any
32 > fancy toys or a development system?
33
34 Very few F(L)OSS programs are unavailable in 64-bit land, so if your
35 computer lives in the "Free (Software) world" you won't have problems no
36 matter what you use the computer for.
37
38 If you need/want proprietary binaries, multilib is the only way to go.
39
40 > Are any of you here running on a
41 > no-multilib 64-bit profile?
42
43 Not I. I'm still leaning on my wine/cedega crutch for some things.
46 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
47 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
48 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
49 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/