From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerging UT2004
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:42:04
1 Steve B. wrote:
2 > On Friday 03 February 2006 23:06, fire-eyes wrote:
3 >
4 >>Steve B. wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Hey everybody,
7 >>>
8 >>> This is kind of stupid problem, but I just can't seem to figure this
9 >>>one out. I can't emerge UT2004. I set my CD_ROOT to my cdrom
10 >>>(/media/hdc) and the first CD copies fine, but it never gives me time to
11 >>>umount and mount the second CD. It simply tries (and thinks it has
12 >>>success) on the rest of the CD's but I know that it just copied the data
13 >>>from CD1 six times.
14 >>>
15 >>>This is the first time I have ever tried to install a game from CD on
16 >>>linux, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
17 >>
18 >>Unfortunately, the ebuild for ut2004 is very brain dead about that.
19 >>Curiously, it USED to do exactly what you said: let you swap CD's.
20 >>
21 >>The only way I figured out how to accomplish the install from CD's was
22 >>to copy every single CD to the hard disk, which obviously takes up a lot
23 >>of space and time.
24 >>
25 >>Like so:
26 >>
27 >>rsync -aP /mnt/cdrom 1
28 >>rsync -aP /mnt/cdrom 2
29 >>
30 >>And so on through 6. 6 is the disk labeled install disk, I think. Then
31 >>set CD_ROOT_1=/full/path/to/1 CD_ROOT_2=/full/path/to/2 CD_ROOT_....
32 >>emerge ut2004
33 >>
34 >>Feel free to use cp, i prefer to use rsync.
35 >>
36 >>The next problem you will run into (or it might come before you even get
37 >>to the CD's, i forget) is that portage will try to download various
38 >>large files from 3dgamers mirrors. Almost all of which time out or are
39 >>unreachable, or uselessly slow. I've found that I have to go to google
40 >>and look for the filename, find it somewhere else, save it to
41 >>/usr/portage/distfiles and home the md5sums match. Make sure the
42 >>filename is as portage expects it too, including case.
43 >>
44 >>There are bugs open about all of these issues, but they just haven't
45 >>been solved yet.
46 >>
47 >>ut2004 is one of the most irritating peices of software to install on
48 >>gentoo, especially from CD's, thanks to all of this.
49 >
50 > Thanks! I got everything working now. But that was a pain in the rear.
51 > Somebody should really update the ebuild in portage.
52
53 Indeed... :)
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list