From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new linux router
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:59:24
1 On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 03:10:40PM +0000, James wrote:
2
3 > I'd like to be able to download some open source linux to the router
4 > hardware if updates and pathces are not maintained by the vendor?
5 > That way I do not purchase something that is to be abandoned in
6 > a few years by the vendor.
7 >
8 > It's just a small home/office so 3x100Mb E would be fine, but GigE
9 > ports would be better. I'm flexible on the CPU/arch of the hardware,
10 > so all discussion and suggestions are welcome. In an idealized world
11 > I'd pay extra for a gentoo_derivative based router; but all I find
12 > is the WRT, devil_linux and such, nothing really cool and interesting.
13
14 For the hardware, you could get a alix2d3:
15 http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d3.htm
16
17 For the distribution, I'd recommend Alpine:
18 http://www.alpinelinux.org/about
19
20 That's the combo I used in a recent past and it worked quiet fine
21 (802.1q VLAN, traffic shaping with tc, advanced firewall with scripted
22 iptables rules, ethernet cards controlled with ethtool (I could fix
23 speed/duplex for incompatible network hardware), ssh, etc).
24
25 While there is no wifi I found this MUCH better than WRT54GL, for
26 example.
29 Nicolas Sebrecht