From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:57:13
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 29 January 2008, James Ausmus wrote:
5 >> Portage *does not* look at CFLAGS in determining what to rebuild
6 >> (even with -uDN) - portage only looks at USE flags and dependency
7 >> upgrades/versions. Mike is correct in saying that, for packages to be
8 >> recompiled with the new CFLAGS, he would have to recompile that
9 >> package directly. emerge -e world is a good way to do this.\
12 > It's also an excellent way to waste several days of one's life that you
13 > will never get back :-)
14 >
15 > If it's only a few packages affected, a much better idea would be to
16 > grep through /var/wherever-portage-puts-it to find the CFLAGS for each
17 > package installed, determine the ones that are not correct, and emerge
18 > just those with 'emerge -n'. How to do this marvellous grepa nd emerge
19 > is left as an exercise for the reader, as I'm much too lazy to figure
20 > it out at almost midnight :-)
21 >
22 > If it's most of the system that's affected, then yeah, emerge -e world
23 > is probably easier.
26 The other (much more lazy way) you can do it is just let your system
27 rebuild normally and it will get worked out now that stuff is in
28 make.conf's CFLAGS. It just depends on if you want it now (read: when
29 you're done compiling) or you don't care. Of course if the xv flag
30 didn't fix your video problems then I'd recompile sooner.
31 my $0.02
32 --
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list