From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 01:52:45
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
3 > [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
4 > Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:58 AM
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Theoretical install Question
9 > On Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2007, Dale wrote:
10 > > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
11 > > > On Mittwoch, 23. Mai 2007, burlingk@×××××××××.mil wrote:
12 > > >> I think that I will probably be better off doing a stage three
13 > > >> install, then doing an 'emerge -euD world' or similar
14 > before moving
15 > > >> on from there. After that, I can just make sure to
16 > watch the FAQ's
17 > > >> and walkthroughs when I install Xorg to make sure that I do it
18 > > >> right. ^_^
19 > > >
20 > > > why? there is no need to do that. emerge -u --newuse
21 > world would be
22 > > > much more 'interessting'. Btw, an deep world update
23 > ruined most of
24 > > > my weekend... don't do --deep if you don't have to.
25 > >
26 > > Funny, I sync every few days or so and always do a emerge
27 > -uvD world.
28 > > I have less problems with that than just doing a -u world.
29 > >
30 > > Maybe it is when you do things consistantly that keeps things going
31 > >well
32 >
33 > and are you doing revdep-rebuilt afterwards?
34 >
35 > Last time gwenviev and kipi stuff broke, krita broke and some
36 > other stuff.
37 > Krita did not emerge because of some changed symbols, so I
38 > had to reemerge
39 > koffice-libs - something revdep-rebuild did not catch. It
40 > catches changed
41 > versions, but if a lib is recompiled because of an -r update
42 > and there are
43 > symbol problems, revdep will not see them...
44 > I had to rebuild kdepim and a lot of other stuff, just
45 > because of that -D
46 > update. It sucks to have to revdep-rebuild a douzend
47 > packages. It suckes even
48 > more when half of them fail because of some symbols and you
49 > have to reemerge
50 > three or four additional libs, so you can't just let it run
51 > unattended...
52 >
53 > In my years of gentoo, -D always caused problems and was
54 > almost never worth
55 > the trouble.
56 > --
57
58 I am glad I am asking questions now, and not after doing something
59 dumb. :P I could SOOO mess things up on a new box. ^_^
60
61 ;-) I think the keyword of the day will be planning! ^_^
62 --
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list