From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] duplicate gentoo system - errors
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 10:43:35
1 On Tuesday, 24 November 2020 09:20:52 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 23 November 2020 19:02:57 GMT antlists wrote:
3 > > If you're messing about with disks, partitions, etc, you NEED to have a
4 > > basic understanding of UUIDs.
5 >
6 > That may be true if you have more than one disk of a given type, but if you
7 > have only one SATA drive and one NVMe, for instance, there's no chance of
8 > their being misnumbered at boot.
9 >
10 > My workstation has one NVMe drive and two SATAs. They're always detected in
11 > the same order, so I've no need to render my fstab illegible with UUIDs. I
12 > could use labels, but why bother? The old system ain't broke, so I've no
13 > need to fix it.
14
15 It depends on the bus and disk technology. I have an ARM driven box with a
16 conventional 1TB spinning SATA drive and a USB stick. You can never tell
17 which one will be detected as /dev/sda and which as /dev/sdb. If you have
18 more than one pluggable devices the same identification problem is likely to
19 arise. LABELs and/or UUIDs solve this problem - reliably.
22 > Can you imagine an fstab with 22 partitions specified with UUIDs? Doesn't
23 > bear thinking about.
24
25 Copying and pasting the output of blkid helps complete the fstab easily and
26 commented lines allow me to explain to myself block device location and
27 purpose, should I need to revisit it some months/years later.