From: Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers problem on xorg 1.6.3.901-r2
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:24:57
1 On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:33:22 +0100
2 Alex Schuster wrote:
3
4 > Arnau Bria writes:
5 [...]
6 > > Section "Device"
7 > > Identifier "VGA"
8 > > Driver "nvidia"
9 > > VendorName "Unknown"
10 > > BoardName "Unknown"
11 > > EndSection
12
13 > I would expect vesa to be quite slow. I don't know about nvidia-xconf
14 > and where it comes from, probably because I do not have a nvidia card
15 > any more. Does it really place "vesa" into the config?
16 no, no...
17 there's an error in my xorg.conf, it's not vesa but
18 nvidia, (as I need X for sending mail I had to use vesa driver for
19 starting X and did not remeber to change it in xorg.conf when sending
20 mail... ) :-S
23 > What happens when you replace the "vesa" driver with "nvidia"? emerge
24 > nvidia-drivers if not already done. If this fails, try "nv" instead,
25 > this is the slower open source driver, which should be okay for 2D
26 > acceleration at least.
27
28 when I use nvidia driver system goes really, really slow. about a
29 minute to change between worksapces, or open an aplication.
30
31 nv completly freezes my sytem.
32
33 nvidia-drivers are rebuild after kernel upgrade.
36 > > # grep EE Xorg.0.log
37 > > to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
38 > > to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
39 > > to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
40 >
41 > I read something here about dri and dri2 some days ago, but don't
42 > remember. I think they are not needed with nvidia-drivers or
43 > something like that.
44
45 seem that, but if nvidia-xconfig don't try to load it, why X does?
46 lx-arnau ~ # nvidia-xconfig
47
48 Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
49 Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
50 New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
51
52 lx-arnau ~ # grep dri /etc/X11/xorg.conf
53 ## Load "dri"
56 > There is also X -configure which creates a new xorg.conf, but that
57 > segfaults for some years on my machine.
58
59 that's what I'm using.
60
61 > And you could try with hal and no xorg.conf.
62
63 no, few days ago I explained my hal problems :-) trying with no hal now.
66 > Wonko
67 Thanks for your reply,
71 Arnau Bria
72 http://blog.emergetux.net
73 Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity