From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hardening a laptop for travel
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:22:51
1 On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:22:45 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Given that systems like e.g. Ubuntu server do not even have a
5 > firewall running would make you think so. The fact that while on the
6 > road you only stay connected for short periods of time would improve
7 > your chances too. However, every time you start an internet
8 > connection to a server you have open ports at random which could be
9 > discovered and exploited. It only takes a few seconds over broadband
10 > with a well crafted script.
11
12 This is true; however, the actual "exploitability" of something like
13 this seems pretty low to me. The biggest problem that I see here is
14 MITM/Spoofing probably, and it's a problem that firewalls only help
15 treat, but certainly don't cure completely.
16 --
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list