From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing a file on a usb thumb drive
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 18:01:11
1 Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Dale,
3 >
4 > On Saturday, 2020-03-21 08:06:35 -0500, you wrote:
5 >
6 >> ...
7 >> Mind if I'm nosy for a minute.  I'd like to store files on a USB stick
8 >> that are encrypted as well.  However, I'd like it to be able to work no
9 >> matter what OS is used.  I googled but thought it was not possible.  You
10 >> seem to have found a way to do this, broken at the moment but there's hope.
11 > For what it's worth, I'm successfully using VeraCrypt (the successor of
12 > TrueCrypt) on both, Windows and Gentoo, to read and write encrypted USB
13 > sticks.
14 >
15 > See "https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html" for their web site and just
16 > emerge "app-crypt/veracrypt".
17 >
18 > Sincerely,
19 > Rainer
22 Questions.  Since you use it, maybe you can tell me if this works.  I'd
23 like to use this on a USB stick for files/directories.  Thing is, if I
24 give it to someone who uses windoze, can they just put in the password
25 and open it or does it have to be on the original system?  It sounds
26 like it will work on different systems.  Basically, I'd like to transfer
27 files from one system to another but it be encrypted while in transit.
28 I use Linux, they use windoze tho.  That make sense?
29
30 Thanks.
31
32 Dale