From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:44:09
1 On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 00:26:13 +0000
2 Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:32:24 +0200
5 > nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
6 >
7 > > My thanks, too! There's nothing like reading on some actual
8 > > experience with this. So this was once the reason to keep /
9 > > separate. Not that important anymore (but this is still no excuse
10 > > to force people to keep /usr in the same filesystem).
11 >
12 > Sorry but real world data is important and I am fully aware of the
13 > academic theorist problems compared to practical experience but this
14 > simply doesn't apply here. I didn't see any evidence or
15 > argument that a larger root conducting millions more writes is as safe
16 > as a smaller read only one perhaos not touched for months.
17 >
18 > The testing criteria were very generally put and just because an
19 > earthquake hasn't hit 200 building in the last 50 years is no reason
20 > to remove shock absorbers or other measures from sky scrapers.
23 I thought I was clear in that - I was my survey of my machines for my
24 purposes only, not a formal study in any way.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com