From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Change MAKEOPTS on the fly?
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 11:38:52
1 On 12/7/20 6:03 pm, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > echo bfq > /sys/block/sda/queue/schedule
5 Thanks for the hints,
6
7     ive gone with schedtool and ionice for now (seems to be working) and
8 will configure that as the defaults when this run finishes.  I have not
9 built the bfq scheduler in this kernel so will give that a try later -
10 its currently using mq-deadline with a WD blue SSD (will bfq be better
11 than a deadline on an ssd? - will try it and see). It has 4g ram and 4g
12 swap with about half in use - in normal running swap isn't used much, if
13 at all.
14
15 As well as emerge, the io load is also coming from the network as I have
16 3x1g bonded interfaces routing busy vlans including a moosefs SAN and a
17 100mhz uplink which was suffering delays and timeouts.  The root cause
18 is trying to do too much with too little - :)
19
20 BillK