From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][SOLVED] Libreoffice-5.4.2.2 fails to start
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:03:37
1 On 01/21/2018 04:00 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 15:21:35 -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Log out, log in as root (or su from another user) and see if
5 >>> /var/run/user/1000 exists. Rename it to something else in case you
6 >>> need the contents, and then see if libreoffice works.
7 >>>
8 >>> If everything seems okay, get rid of the old version
9 >>>
10 >>> (My system has multiple users, I'm the only person logged in, and
11 >>> folder 1000 (my user-id) is the only one there. I guess somehow some
12 >>> old file has got "stuck" and needs deleting.)
13 >>>
14 >>> Cheers,
15 >>> Wol
16 >>
17 >> I solved it by unmerging / emerging "libreoffice". The system required
18 >> reboot, after that libreoffice start working for all users on the
19 >> machine.
20 >
21 > So what solved, the reinstall or the reboot?
22
23 I suspect both.
24 I was rebooting it before but libreoffice did not start for user
25 "joseph" only for "alex"
26 When I unmerge / emerge libreoffice it still did not work for user "joseph"
27 but when I turn off the PC and rebooted next day, libreoffice all of a
28 sudden started working for user "joseph" (both users).
29
30 >> This is like a Windows solution, they always ask you to reboot the
31 >> computer :-/
32 >
33 > /var/run is a symlink to /run, which is on a tmpfs and would be cleared
34 > with a reboot. It appears that Wol's suggestion of spurious files
35 > in /var/run could well have been the cause.
36
37 Now it is showing:
38 ll /var/run/user
39 drwx------ 2 joseph root 40 Jan 21 16:58 1000