From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet Machination
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 00:56:52
1 On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Background:
5 > I have a gentoo system with a fried ethernet (interface)
6 > on an older motherboard. I installed a pci ethernet
7 > card that works fine for years. Lately, udev and the
8 > myriad of related upgrades, have made it so services
9 > (sshd, cupsd, etc) are wigged out now. So I rebuilt the
10 > 3.4.9 kernel to removed all ethernet drivers except
11 > the one on the pci card. All is fine with that.
14 > New problem:
15 > Udev renames the pci card from eth0 to eth3,
16 > so cupsd does not work and the system comes up
17 > with routing and the ethernet not set up
18 > as it should from the /etc/conf.d/net file:
19 >
20 > From Dmesg.
21 > systemd-udevd[1519]: renamed network interface eth0 to eth3
24 > So now that only one ethernet shows up, how do I prevent
25 > udev from renaming eth0 to eth3?
26
27 Check /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Probably the old
28 (fried) ethernet card is listed there (along with other stuff). Leave
29 out everything except your PCI card (the MAC address is how you tell
30 them appart).
31
32 Worst case, delete the file (after saving a copy), and see if udev
33 automagically solves everything by itself.
34
35 Regards.
36 --
37 Canek Peláez Valdés