From: Chris Cox <yeahsowhat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Windows on a second drive?
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:23:58
1 On Monday 05 September 2005 08:38 am, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > Is it possible to put Windows XP an a second drive in a Linux box
4 > and have Windows be happy?
5 >
6 > 1) I'm pretty sure that grub will have no problems with this, correct?
7 >
8 > 2) Will Windows be happy if it's the only OS on a non-boot drive?
9 >
10 > I've done lots of dual boot machines before but there were always
11 > Windows on the main drive and System Commander to get me to Linux. I
12 > don't want to use System Commander this time.
13 >
14 > Thanks,
15 > Mark
16
17 I restored a saved Windows 2000 (Partimage) image onto /dev/hdb1 then added
18 the following to my grub.conf:
19
20 title Windows 2k
21 map (hd0) (hd1)
22 map (hd1) (hd0)
23 rootnoverify (hd1,0)
24 makeactive
25 chainloader +1
26
27 I also found out that it didn't really like my LVM2 drives. It created drives
28 all the way up to P: which really made no sense to me, so I went into
29 Windows control panel / system and disabled two of my other hard
30 drives /dev/hda and /dev/hdf..then on My Computer it only sees the drives I
31 want it to see.
32
33 Oh, I only put windows on so I could play the Doom 3 demo since I couldn't get
34 the one in portage to work.
37 Chris
38 Linux 2.6.13-gentoo i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP
39 05:12:53 up 25 min, 1 user, load average: 0.58, 0.43, 0.35
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list