From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:12:23
1 Am 26.01.2014 17:52, schrieb James:
2 > Ok,
3 >
4 > So, as a old fart, I got tired of KDE and never really liked gnome.
5 > I have found new life in LXDE; spartan, but learning and document
6 > how things work on gentoo, is hopefully something I have to only
7 > do once.
8 >
9 > I have my lxde/openbox environment mostly setup. One thing I miss
10 > is feature rich tabbed terminal session. On my old rig,
11 > the tabs where customizable to show current dir or rename manually.
12 > When I would "ssh" into a remote system, the IP address was prominently
13 > displayed in the tab header; essential for managing tons of remote
14 > devices.
15 >
16 > Im currently I launch "lxterminal" from my
17 > ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart file. I think I need to upgrade the
18 > lxterminal with another feature
19 > rich, multitab terminal session. lxterminals does not remember or keep
20 > my tabs, or the contents (working dir) either.
23 > One last problem is my lxtermnal session do not remember their previous
24 > screen location or size (geometry) so they just all pop up as the
25 > default size in the middle of the screen. I tend to think that lxde/openbox
26 > has a config file somewhere to set the screen locations/sizes but
27 > it may also be related to the features offered by the "*xterm" ?
28 >
29 > discussion and suggestions are most welcome.
30 >
31 > One note of motivation: I now have a computational resource, I have not
32 > experienced in a very long time. RAM. I canrun mulitple web browsers
33 > with dozens of windows open and dozens of resource hungry applications
34 > and databases, with tons of ram (~50%) to spare, all because I dumped
35 > KDE. If you run KDE, you do not realize what a pig it has become, until
36 > to go back to one of these feature rich, user controlled
37 > desktop/workstations. I would encourage any and all without tons of
38 > free ram, to ditch KDE (dunno about gnome).......
41 > sincerely,
42 > James
45 you know - I don't give a rat's ass about 'pig' or not, because:
46 I have enough ram. Ram is cheap. 16gb of DDR 1600 ECC costs what? 160€?
47 Cheap.
48 zfs eats so much, the amount KDE is using is negligible.
49
50 At the moment I run one firefox instance with 29 flash heavy windows
51 3 instances of konqueror with douzends of tabs.
52 thunderbird.
53 two hungry java apps.
54 assorted crap.
55
56 11GB used.
57
58 But the big 'offender' seems to be: zfs.