From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Eix takes ridiculously long to update cache of overlays
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:49:08
1 Am 22.07.2012 18:17, schrieb Vaeth:
2 >>> I guess I'm missing some settings specific to this? I have 3 overlays
3 >>> installed via layman, and this eix takes ridiculously long to index
4 >>> through them, I don't know why.
5 >>>
6 >>> The portage tree is indexed quickly.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> There is usually not much you can do there. This typically happens with
10 >> overlays that contain no metadata cache.
11 >>
12 >> Look at your overlay directory into metadata/layout.conf. If it doesn't
13 >> contain a "cache-formats" line you are probably out of luck since eix
14 >> has to parse each ebuild.
15 >
16 > It is not the "cache-formats" line which is crucial but whether
17 > there is an (up-to-date) metadata/cache or metadata/md5-cache
18 > subdireectory.
19 > If the overlay does not have such a directory (or it is not
20 > updated regularly), You can let portage generate this directory
21 > by using "egencache --repo=... update".
22 > You can eix-sync automatically call this at every think
23 > (see the example lines for eix-sync in the eix manpage).
24 >
25 [...]
26 >
27 > Actually, egencache is already *much* faster than parsing each ebuild
28 > separately. Moreover, I guess at least with cache-format=md5-dict
29 > it parses really only those ebuilds for which the md5 checksum has
30 > changed (i.e. the first execution might be slow, but after updates
31 > there is not so much delay, usually).
34 Interesting. Does this interact nicely with layman or do the different
35 VCSs barf when they find new metadata caches in their overlay directories?
36
37 Regards,
38 Florian Philipp