From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using losetup & loopback devices / filesystems - changes aren't written to disk?!?!?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 02:49:48
1 I tried repeating your experiment, sans NFS and NTFS, and while I did
2 note that the modification timestamp on the file did not change, the
3 contents of the file did (i.e. the filesystem changed).
4
5 FWIW this is Debian bug #459703 (Google told me that).
6
7 What I'm going to guess is happening in your instance is the NFS server
8 is caching parts of the file, and it checks the timestamp to see if the
9 cache is dirty. Since it doesn't see that file file is modified it
10 assumes its cache isn't dirty and continues to use it.
11
12 You could possibly get away with it by simply
13
14 # touch individual.files.img
15
16 Maybe, maybe not.
19 Also, usually you don't need to use losetup unless you are using
20 encryption or offsets or something else exotic. Usually
21
22 # mount -o loop my.img /mnt/pt
23
24 Will do the trick.