From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where is my /dev/fd0?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:32:13
1 On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 19:45:31 -0500, Marcus Wanner wrote:
2
3 > > For the same reason that support for punched card readers is disabled
4 > > by default.
5 > >
6 > But they're so useful...and the computer we got a year ago had one. Do
7 > things really go obsolete like that after decades of prevalence?
8
9 Yes, thankfully. Floppy disks have no real place nowadays, they are
10 bulky, unreliable and store very little. If you want support for legacy
11 hardware, it is there at the flick of a (config) switch but enabling by
12 default makes no sense, especially on Gentoo where default tends to mean
13 "starting point" more that "standard configuration".
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 When there's a will, I want to be in it.