From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags handling
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 20:17:14
1 On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 09:34:04PM +0430, behrouz khosravi wrote
2 > Hello everyone.
3 > I just concurred my fear and jumped to installing gentoo!
4 > So far so good!
5 > Before installing on my laptop and desktop, I am trying on virtual box
6 > and the system is running Fluxbox very good.(default profile)
7 > Now I am thinking about managing USE flags.
8 > What if I disable everything in the make.conf ( I mean USE="-*" ) and
9 > gradually add the needed flags to package.use?
10 > I am not trying to have severe control, I just want to expand my knowledge!
11 > thanks.
12
13 Here is a compromise. I started with USE="-*" and then gradually
14 added stuff that was needed by most items. My rule-of-thumb is...
15 If adding a flag to USE reduces the number of entries in package.use,
16 then I add it. I.e. if...
17 * not having flag "foobar" in USE requires 6 entries in package.use, and
18 * having flag "foobar" in USE requires only 2 "-" entries in package.use
19
20 ...then I move flag "foobar" into USE and put a few "-" entries in
21 package.use. I do want stuff like "ncurses nptl nptlonly posix readline
22 threads" for every app which can use it. Similarly, cpu-specific flags
23 should be in your USE. This effectively gives you a very customized
24 profile. By the way, you can make your own variables in make.conf, and
25 concatenate them, like in bash. In my make.conf I have...
26
27 USE_BASE="-* a52 aac bzip2 cxx fortran ncurses netifrc nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive openssl posix readline ssl threads vim-syntax zlib"
28 USE_CPU="mmx mmxext sse sse2 sse3 ssse3"
29 USE_VIDEO="X dga dri exif ffmpeg flac classic gif intel jpeg mng mp3 mpeg ogg opengl png rtmp theora tiff truetype vorbis xcomposite webm x264 xpm xv xvid xvmc"
30 USE="${USE_BASE} ${USE_CPU} ${USE_VIDEO}"
31
32 I can mostly copy this to another machine. ***WARNING*** the flags in
33 USE_CPU are specific to, and have to be customized for, each machine.
34 My Dell Dimension 530 dates back to June 2008. Newer Intel machines
35 will have additional cpu-specific flags, and AMD cpus will have their
36 own unique additional flags. Your set of flags may be different,
37 depending on what applications you use, and what you want to do with the
38 machine.
41 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
42 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications