From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I read a MacOSX FileVault disk from Linux?
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 23:33:13
1 On 10 November 2011 19:25, <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I have a 5 year old Mac OS X laptop which died last night -- no lights, nothing, as if the battery
3 > and AC line were disconnected.  There's nothing on it which is a disaster to lose, but there are
4 > some things I'd like to get off.  Is it possible to plug the drive into a SATA (?) connector on a
5 > Linux system and mount it with some encryption loopback setup to get into my FileVault-protcted home
6 > dir?
7 >
8 > I do have access to a completely different Mac, and I could probably swap drives, boot, get the data
9 > I want, shut down, and restore drives, but I have no idea how well that would work.
10 >
11 > --
12 >            ... _._. ._ ._. . _._. ._. ___ .__ ._. . .__. ._ .. ._.
13 >     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
14 >  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
15 > I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
16
17 From a casual read through the wiki page on Filevault, you should be
18 able to get it up and running provided you still have the Master
19 password. In fact, the age of the install may be an advantage - the
20 encryption schemes are well understood, and some versions even have
21 cryptographic weaknesses.
22
23 If you are lucky enough to have the 'Sparse Image' variant (from
24 OS10.4), it may even be possible to recover the majority ov the
25 content, even if some of it is damaged through disk failure (although
26 your description sounds more like motherboard / power failure.
27
28 As to whether someone has written mount_filevault or not, I've no
29 idea. Happy googling!