From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] system stopped booting
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:31:09
1 I'm having a strange problem with a system that we're putting together
2 to be an LDAP-based PDC.
3
4 I had it all configured and it was working fine. I had to put the
5 project aside for a couple weeks as I had other things to work on and
6 then I came back to it. Since it had been a while, I updated the whole
7 system, updated the configs with etc-update, and I'm pretty sure I
8 rebooted to make sure all was well.
9
10 About a week later, I booted it and it wouldn't boot. It got stuck at
11 "configuring system to use udev" and never gets okay. I just sits there
12 for ever.
13
14 I booted a gentoo live cd as a rescue and found that I could chroot into
15 the broken system and work with it. I tried to rebuild the whole thing,
16 but some emerges (one I remember is "udev") would stall. They will
17 only get so far as the initial ">>> emerge" line and they will sit there
18 for ever.
19
20 The emerges that fail will always fail. The emerges that succeed will
21 do so build after build.
22
23 I ran memtest on the RAM and it failed some tests so I thought I'd found
24 the problem. A couple weeks later, I have new RAM for it, but it
25 behaves the same.
26
27 I am not sure where to go with this one. I'm not sure why it won't
28 build or boot. The system had been running just fine before the update
29 and I *think* it booted after it. However, I realize I might have
30 dorked some config file in /etc, but I am not sure which it might be...
31
32 If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to find a way out of this other
33 than reinstalling the system. Such a thing might happen again in the
34 future to a non-development system and I'd like to know the way to get it
35 working again.
36
37 Thank you.
40 -M
41
42 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
43 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list