From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best practices - flexible XServer
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:10:57
1 I think you are looking for problems where they dont exist:
2
3 point your xorg.conf at /dev/input/mice - then all mice end up under the
4 one reference. i.e., plug in a usbmouse and once the modules are
5 loaded, its automatically seen by the xserver.
6
7 Keyboards (usb) and the native keyboard (on desktops or laptops) just
8 work - never had to look into how as its always been ok.
9
10 i945, not so easy, but it can be done. My laptop with a intel display
11 chipset (I think its a 945 or maybe 965 - not with me att) changes
12 resolutions and switches between int/ext or both. Have not tried driving
13 a TV off it - doesnt have a port for it. The tricks in how you setup
14 xorg.conf. That being said, the xorg intel drivers were quite
15 problematic, but the latest at least seems stable. I move between areas
16 where I use 1024x768 into projectors and a MS wireless laptop mouse,
17 desktops with an external LCD monitor (1280x1024), keyboard and dell
18 optical mouse and standalone (1366x768). All devices work as plug/play
19 - no rebooting needed. I use desktop icons calling a script that runns
20 xrandr to set the deisplay resolutions (there is a gnome taskbar applet
21 to it as well)
22
23 Basicly for your requirements, its just making sure its correctly setup!
24 Google!
25
26 BillK