From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Recent CUPS "upgrade" broke my printer server
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:42:18
1 I've been running cups happily on this box for a couple of years. It serves
2 print requests from two other computers I have, one running Ubuntu (also
3 running cups), and the other running WinXP.
4
5 With the upgrade to 1.2.1-r2 from 1.1.23, some probelms arose:
6 1) neither of the other machines can print through this server any more.
7 2) When either of the other machines is running at all, requests to print
8 on this gentoo server lock up for just under 2 minutes before they
9 get to printing. If I shut down the other machines, printing returns
10 to normal locally.
11
12 The error logs show a repeated error that doesn't ring a bell with me:
13
14 E [15/Jul/2006:14:20:18 -0700] encrypt_client: Unable to encrypt
15 connection from 64.166.164.53!
16
17 The config files changed a bit on the upgrade, and I did my best. The last
18 go 'round was through the web interface (once I got that working) so they've
19 all been rewritten by cups. I cannot claim to understand them completely.
20 Can anyone explain the @OWNER @SYSTEM things -- they sound good,
21 but I'm not truly clear on exactly what they do in cups.
22 I want to allow ports 631 (normal cups stuff from the Ubuntu machine) and
23 515 (LPD things for WinXP).
24
25 I've looked at the config files, and nothing jumps out at me. The one mention
26 of encryption is in the /auth section, which I don't use remotely
27 anyway. Here's
28 cupsd.conf:
29
30 # Show general information in error_log.
31 LogLevel info
32 SystemGroup lpadmin
33 # Allow remote access
35 Listen *:printer
36 Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
37 # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
38 Browsing On
39 BrowseOrder allow,deny
40 BrowseAllow @LOCAL
41 BrowseAddress @LOCAL
42 DefaultAuthType Basic
43 <Location />
44 # Allow shared printing...
45 Order allow,deny
46 Allow @LOCAL
47 </Location>
48 <Location /admin>
49 Encryption Required
50 # Restrict access to the admin pages...
51 Order allow,deny
52 Allow localhost
53 </Location>
54 <Location /admin/conf>
55 AuthType Basic
56 Require user @SYSTEM
57 # Restrict access to the configuration files...
58 Order allow,deny
59 Allow localhost
60 </Location>
61 <Policy default>
62 <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
63 Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription
64 Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job
65 Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
66 Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
67 Order deny,allow
68 </Limit>
69 <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
70 Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
71 Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer
72 Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer
73 Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
74 CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs
75 CUPS-Set-Default>
76 AuthType Basic
77 Require user @SYSTEM
78 Order deny,allow